Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Naming of Things



I love Sting. I really do. There were years when I would bake a cake on his birthday (October 2nd). Yes, scary. Well, for a few years I tried (half-heartedly) the internet dating thing and thought it was kind of cute, with a little play on words to have my "screen name" be 'Sting Me'. I thought it was kind of flirty and still descriptive, blah, blah, blah. So, then I just started identifying things that way...Sting Me - the internet dating thing didn't stick - but the name did. Thus, my blog address is Stingme.

I also love TV. Love TV. More of an addiction than an admiration probably. Obession, addiction...whichever. There once was a show called Life as We Know It - well, actually there thrice was a show called Life as We Know It. The first one in 1991 was just a sketch comedy show with Second City comedians..that ran for only a few episodes...and an unknown Steve Carell appeared in it. There was a British comedy in 2001 by the same name... that also lasted less than a season. And then there was a teen dramedy also by this same name that aired on ABC in 2004-2005. It got cancelled early and I don't even think all of the episodes of the season aired...though, it was released on DVD. And the point is this, I named my blog "Life as I know it" - because it is a good description of a blog and it is my little wink, wink to TV...to a string of failed series all with the same name. And if I don't keep this blog up...and it gets "cancelled" in its first season- it will be no big surprise. But, if it gets picked up for a second season, this blog will be the longest running of all its namesakes. So, welcome to Life As I Know It.

"Though the pages are numbered
I can't see where they lead
For the end is a mystery no-one can read
In the book of my life"

No comments: