Saturday, April 2, 2011

A Kinder, Gentler Idol


I just wrote a blog entry with the same title on my-much like this one -long neglected, OTHER blog about this years American Idol. But, this entry is about a different idol. My branch puts on an annual Idol competition - complete with a Ryan Seacrest, a panel of judges, audition rounds, commercials, voting and of course the talent. Talent is used loosely here - as merely enjoyable entertainment by anyone willing to try.

I invited my musical snob peep to attend. First, you should know she has an incredible voice. Incredible. I have been to many church events - stake conferences where she has been asked to sing. She knows music. She does. I like to talk American Idol with her - because she is a music snob - she rarely likes anyone (I tend to like most) and really understands the technical aspects of singing - she really appreciates a good key change, a difficult harmony and is very discerning about who is "good". I tend to get wrapped up in the emotion of the moment...and while I am keen to break down the elements that are making me fall in love with a particular contestant - I still fall in momentary love. That kid with turrets - love him! Now, I had never been to one of these branch Idol events. I did not know what to expect. I was not disappointed - and had the unexpected joy of watching my peep squirm, cover her ears and finally surrender to it - and begin suggesting we do a number next year playing our "nose flutes".

Now, the mention of nose flutes might suggest that the show was some sort of silly variety show - but it wasn't. It was all singing save one contestant who played the keyboard and guitar - whose musical genre - I can best describe as akin to John Corbetts character's music in Serendipity. And if you don't know what kind that is, I've just given you a good reason to watch this delightful movie. He was the first number - and peep sent me a text in the middle that said, "is there a time limit"? She had not yet surrendered... the number was long - but the guy could really play and had a vibe all his own. A few contestants sang along with the original singers/tracks of their chosen numbers - my particular row in the crowd discussed charging the stage during a lively Bon Jovi and contestant version of "Its My Life". A few funny characters emerged - Ms. Marmalstein and Hanz - in character and costume and delivered quite entertaining numbers. The sheer irony of a girl singing "I'm just a girl who can't say no" from Oklahoma to a crowd of singles was hilarious. She was good too. There were several truly earnest numbers - a few who accompanied themselves and sang from the piano, and a few willing to tackle the big voices - with a Josh Grobin number and a Celine Dion and Barbara Streisand duet. Many contestants had their nerves get the better of them, many experienced sound and technical difficulties, one even had a wardrobe malfunction. But many didn't - and for each number there was at least one moment when their true talent shone through.

The judges - the judges were amazing. Finding the kindest, gentlest, funniest comments to make despite the performance trials facing a few of the numbers. There was a Simon judge - like Simon only in his tone of delivery - because no one was out to dash dreams here. There was a Paula - kind hearted and silly - and a Randy of sorts - using his "dawg" whenever possible and relying heavily on his personal relationships with the contestants to comment. He was fun to watch during the performances as he and the Paula judge muffled their giggles and did their best (quite unsuccessfully) to hold a straight face during some of the more earnest and unintentionally funny endeavors. And then there was the last judge - she completely transformed herself into a witty, famous persona - with something to say. She committed to the character and her delivery was always funny. Her performance as judge was one of the most entertaining numbers of the night.

The Branch Presidency and their wives did an intermission number titled "Sonny and Cher, Sonny and Cher and Sonny and Cher" complete with costumes and some amazing lip syncing and choreography. Hey, you don't get such entertainment during commercials for TV Idol! It was a sight to behold!

The emcee - the Ryan Seacrest if you will - was a born host. Sticking to the American Idol script - announcing over and over again how much we need "your vote" very Seacrest. She was amazing and brought the house down at the end of the night with a specialized version of "9 to 5". I seriously dug her. She spoke in church once and gave one of those talks I can still remember for its amazing message and her presentation - she is a natural performer. I gotta get to know her. I think we would be fast friends.

Finally, kudos to all the work on this event. They even had pre-taped "audition" rounds set up exactly like idol...with the yellow papers and contestants "going to Hollywood". They had the big microphone image displayed on the back of the stage. The Idol music, their own version of the Idol icon. I noticed it all and took it all in. For a girl who would LOVE to put together an event like this - who would love to put all those details into a night like this - who would love to direct or produce one of the 'talent acts' - I loved it. I appreciated it. I know how much work it was and I was so happy to enjoy it - even my peep got it and eventually came to love it.

All in all - definitely a kinder, gentler idol than the one seen on TV. More a contest of courage dashed with a display and array of talent and entertainment. The winner was humble and happy and quick to get out of the limelight. As all bravery had been used for her performance. Brave and amazing. That is the best description of the talent. Because, tell you what, you wouldn't catch me up there - not even playing the nose flute. Edwards out!

PS- Happy Birthday, Amber! Miss you cute girl! Love you! You'll always be my frog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a good blog. Keep up all the work. I too love blogging and expressing my opinions

Anonymous said...

why not:)