Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Case of the "Misters"


I was putting together some ideas on my "Character Crushes" from TV and Movie land - when this last weekend - I got a case of the "Misters". Mr. Rochester, Mr. Thornton, Mr. Ferras, Mr. (Col) Brandon, Mr. Lafroy, , Mr. Bertram, Mr. Bingely, Mr. (Capt) Wentworth, Mr. Darcy and Mr. Knightley - that is.

Peep and I went to see the new Jane Eyre. I've seen several versions of Jane Eyre. And shhh - don't tell anyone - I've never read it. I enjoyed this version - but I am one to appreciate the modern day nuances of cinematography, film, color - and so, thusly - this one is my favorite. Mia Wasikowska (best known for taking a trip to Wonderland with Johnny Depp) was great as the supposedly "plain" (it always cracks me up when they try to mute the looks of the Hollywood starlets) and poor Jane. But, Michael Fassbender as Mr. Rochester - was, well divine. His voice was mesmerizing for me. I felt happy sinking deeply into another time and fully entrenching in Jane's world. I'm a girl. I like this stuff. Don't judge me. I heard several women at church on Sunday discussing this version of the story - picking it apart for its missed plot points and too-short length. Lovers of the book - all - they felt like it skipped through some of the crucial - Jane-Rochester relationship affirming interactions. Never read it. Didn't know. Thought many of the other movie versions of this story were too long. Loved this one. However, with how much I enjoyed disappearing into this movie created world of years ago - I imagine had I read it - I would have sunk as deeply into all the details that these women were bemoaning were missing. So, I get it. But, I still couldn't hate this telling of this strangely romantic tale. Mr. Rochester never sounded so good.

We headed back to peeps house after the movie - and while I suggested Mario and Toad - she suggested North and South. A 4 hour BBC America TV film of the 22 part serial printed in 1854 in the magazine Household Worlds written by Elizabeth Gaskell and edited by Charles Dickens. Haven't read this novel either (I am a reader...I swear!) and didn't know anything about it. But, 10 minutes in and I was hooked. I was hooked for 4 solid hours! I love these movies. I love in these movies that the be-all, end-all of the romantic experience can be the touch of a hand. Four hours is a long time to wait for some hand holding and a kiss - but, swoon - it was so worth it. Interesting story of industrial England, striking workers, starving poor - an embattled and emblazoned back drop - that just makes it all the more exciting. The same women unhappy with 2011 Jane Eyre, loved North and South save one - who didn't like Richard Armitage - which caused my mouth to gape open. Unbelievable - in this movie he is beautiful - and I love a good complex, thinking, good man. They do not exist in the world I live in - but they do exist in the North and South!




So, yes, all weekend - I had a serious case of the Misters...and I abandoned my Character Crush list for my Misters list. I love these characters and the actors who played them... they are similar in all the best ways. Noble men, respecters of the thinking woman, many of them complex, misunderstood, brooding, gorgeous, courageous, self-sacrificing, good, good, dreamy men - with British accents to boot.

Mr. (Col) Brandon, Sense and Sensibility 1995- Long before Professor Snape appeared on the big screen, Alan Rickman captured the goodness of this patient, devoted man.

Mr. Bertram, Mansfield Park 1999 - Angelina Jolie knew. She was once married to lovely Johnny Lee Miller. He was so charming as Fanny's honest and steadfast, though slow of heart Edmund, it made me mostly breeze right by the fact that Fannie and Edmund are sort of related. The more I think of Mr. Miller, though, the more - I think - he'll always be Eli Stone to me. PS- he also was a fabulous Mr. Knightley in a version of Emma.

Mr. Bingely Pride & Prejudice 2005 - Simon Woods so embodies Mr. Bingelys sweet, unassuming nature - the pairing of Bingely and Jane, the eldest of the Bennett sisters, seem so obvious amidst their very subtle personalities. Simon Woods skin in this movie has a porcelain like beauty.

Mr. Lafroy Becoming Jane2007 - this one is a cheat - I know. Becoming Jane is not some great novel - but it all relates, as the story is a fictional(partially? wholly? who knows)telling of life of Jane Austen. Its still set in the same time period and the characters are still named Mr... and well - I couldn't pass up an opportunity to gush about James McAvoy. I love him. I really love him - even if he did have to wear 3 inch lifts for this movie to be taller than Anne Hathaway. Mr. Lafroy is the least noble of all these Misters as well. He is somewhat forced (by beloved Jane) to choose money over love. But, James McAvoy so convincingly falls in love with Jane that all un-nobleness is forgiven. A good heart break also makes for a good story.

Mr. (Captain) Wentworth Persuasion 1995 - Though he also played Mr. Rochester in a TV version of Jane Eyre, CiarĂ¡n Hinds broody aloof-ness - was the perfect fit for the ambitious seaworthy Captain. Always with scour, Hinds is the quintessential Mister in some respects - embodying all the complexities and nobilities of a "Mr." with such ease.

Mr. Ferrars Sense & Sensibility 1995 - Hugh Grant at his bumbling best. With all goodness of heart, Mr. Ferras must resolve his previous engagement before offering his hear to the silent, sensible, but desperately in-love Ms. Elinor Dashwood. Usually, I have such an issue with well known faces in these Mr. roles - I like when they are unknown actors - because they can forever be that character. But, for some reason, Hugh's Mr. Ferras transcends this rule, and his patient bumbling and constant misunderstanding of circumstances makes me love Mr. Ferras even more.


Mr. Knightley Emma 1996 - Jeremy Northam is just lovely, lovely, lovely as the honest and true, noble and kind friend to Emma, Mr. Knightley. "I shall now call you MY Mr. Knightley." Um..yeah, Emma - took the words right out of my mouth.

Mr. Rochester Jane Eyre 2011 - Michael Fassbenders voice is "like butta" to me. And Mr. Rochester is so complex, so many secrets, so dark, so needing to be saved by a woman - Michael Fassbender made me really believe he wanted to tell Jane, and made me overlook - the general ickiness in the crazy, dangerous wife in the house part of this story. In the end, though, he is found to be noble and good and only after he is wounded (read: redeemed) do we find him truly worthy of Jane.

Mr. Thornton North & South 2003 - Richard Armitage come stand sideways in my window so I may forever stare at your profile. He made Mr. Thornton so complex - so clearly troubled, so trying to do the right thing. The slow reveal of his true character in this story is intriguing - and it is easy to understand Margaret's draw to him AND refusal of him all at once. A furrowed brow never looked so good.

Mr. Darcy Pride & Prejudice 2005 (1995?) - There are so many arguments about the best telling of this story. And I gotta say I'm squarely on the Matthew McFadyen team. I love Colin Firth - he is many things to me...Mr. Darcy, Mark Darcy, Henry Dashwood, Harry, Lord Wessex, George and most recently King George VI (never has there been an Oscar so deserving!) Because of all of this - he can not be my Mr. Darcy. Though he is dreamy as Mr. Darcy, Matthew McFadyen has my heart as his portrayal of this iconic character overtook me! Walking through a field as the sun rises in an ankle-length jacket - wow. He was icy, but still mysterious...and then mysteriously compassionate. It was much easier to understand and replicate the feeling and draw to Mr. Darcy from the book for me with Matthey McFadyen. Mr. Darcy is all of the Misters in some way - misunderstood, brooding, complex, noble, devoted, patient, good and still prideful with prejudice - and somehow perfect.

Oh, great - how will I ever get over this case of the Misters? I need to return back to reality - but seriously - sometimes I don't like it here - anyone got a good book - preferably a period piece?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.