Monday, October 22, 2007

Conference Center Activities

We had regional stake conference yesterday. We were one of the stakes invited to attend AT the conference center instead of via satellite. I thought it would be a great opportunity for all of the aliens to experience the conference center, as children under 8 are usually not invited to attend things there. Plus, the conference was presided over by President Hinckley, who also spoke and President Packer, who also spoke. I kept saying how lucky we were to get to go. We had to get up early, we had to go really early to get seats...we were there a very long time and it was a long day - even with all of the books, writing utensils and fruit snacks I brought. I thought I had kind of lost the battle of getting the aliens to appreciate how "neat" it was...when my grandmother asked Bear what his favorite part was and he said "the end." And Flower said, "when we left". I thought they just didn't get it. But, then I found these tucked in one of the books we brought and I thought...maybe something sunk in. Frog has such interesting artistic vision...




PS Elder Eyring wasn't there....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, they are getting it! We have to believe that it all seeps in somehow!

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, before I knew anything about the church whatsoever, my mom's friend, Kathy, dragged me to the Chicago temple for a tour before it opened. We had to wear booties over our shoes, and we were discouraged from touching anything. Lots of us shuffled through the lines, and it was hot, sticky, and "boring". As a kid I hated it, but you know what? It really impressed me. I remember it like it was yesterday, the marble pillars and the paintings and everything, I know it touched home somewhere deep inside of me, somehow. And I when I thought about "mormons" later in life, the image of the oxen at the baptisms room was the most vivid. It really influenced me in ways I could never have seen, in ways Kathy surely didn't see (or my mormon-hating parents even!). :) It sinks in, trust me. It all sinks in.

Kim said...

Those are awesome! I love art from little ones. What a great opportunity for them to see the prophet and apostles in person. Years from now, perhaps when they live far away and cannot get tickets to go, they will remember that when they were little, their aunt made it possible for them to attend. What a great memory!

Mrs Andy said...

You have to save those forver, because they are too cute.

Mad Queen said...

Oh, love those sweet pictures. You are amazing for getting them up so early to do this. You are creating memories they will never forget. Do you remember several times we hiked our tired bodies up to SLC to wait and wait and wait and never get in??? One time we were next in line and still did not get in... bummer! Glad you got in.